According to a recent survey conducted by Realtor.com, three out of five home buyers said school boundaries will impact their home purchasing decision. If school district is one of the top items on your wish list, here are tips and tools to help you get both the home and the school you want.
Finding the Right School
Today's home buyers are doing their homework to find the right school district for them. Here are some important considerations for your search:
- School district annual report
- School performance
- Teacher & principal information
- School discpline & safety policies
- Active parent-teacher organization
- Special programs or classes
- Sports and extra-curricular activities
How to research schools and school districts:
- Start online with web sites such as GreatSchools.org or Education.com, which offer a national database, search and comparison tools, user reviews, help with navigating school systems, and more.
- Attend a Parent-Teacher Association meeting to see how issues are addressed and talk to other parents for their feedback.
- Make an appointment with the principal to speak with them about the school and get a copy of the school handbook and curriculum.
- Talk to a local real estate agent, who will have information about schools and school districts in their area.
Finding the Right Home
Your real estate agent will play a key role in doing a search-by-school of the MLS to identify homes for sale within school boundaries that meet all of your criteria, including your price range, desired amenities, and other factors. Additionally, every listing on CarringtonRealEstate.com offers school information to help you narrow down your search.
Getting the right home and the right school can require some creative tactics in the home search phase - as well as some level of compromise in certain cases. Many home buyers are willing to buy a smaller home or with different amenities in order to get the school they want. In the long term, a good school benefits not only the student, but also helps the home's value by ensuring consistent demand and strong prices.
Ready to go back to school? Contact your local Carrington Real Estate Services agent to help you with your home buying homework today.