Are you ready to buy a home but dreading the move? We've all heard that moving is one of the most stressful experiences in life. But it doesn't have to be one of the most expensive. Here are some tips to make the process easier and more economical.
- Plan ahead. Make your reservations as far in advance as possible and use online packing planners to help determine how many boxes you will need.
- Pack your boxes strategically. Choose a packing room ahead of time and box up a few things each day. Mark each box with its contents and destination room. Have all your boxes packed before you go to rent your truck. Load the heaviest items first, in front and on the floor. Pack items firmly and closely.
- The last thing you want is the expense of having your personal belongings damaged. Protect your items by using the proper moving supplies, such as biodegradable packing peanuts, bubble wrap or furniture pads made from recycled fabrics.
- Save money on your rental by avoiding the weekend rush and especially trying to avoid the end of the month when apartment leases expire. Typically, Sunday through Thursday offers greater equipment availability…plus, banks, utilities and government offices are open.
- Take advantage of free-storage offers if you need more time to move all of your belongings.
- Make arrangements in advance for loading and unloading help. Now is the time to call in those favors!
- Prior to moving, look into your homeowner's insurance policy, as some policies will cover belongings while moving as long as the insurance policy is in force during the move.
Every Carrington Real Estate Services agent is trained to help buyers with the ins and outs of getting through the home buying process from start to finish. For more information and to start your home search, contact you local agent today.